One of the only remnants of the Tennessee Dairy farm, established by Lindsley Waters in 1907, exists along Edgefield Ave between Elmhurst Pl and Balboa Dr. The northern portion of a stone wall protecting part of the 640-acre farm is remarkably preserved – while the southern portion could be mistaken for a pile of rubble, sadly. A middle portion is gone entirely, which begs the question whether preservation or restoration is desirable and even possible with grant funding.
Tennessee Dairies Inc. would be called a tech startup today: the technology used to pasteurize and deliver milk was revolutionary, and its contribution to the health and quality of life for early Dallas residents can't be brushed aside. While the stone wall represents a small portion of the dairy operation, a marker of some kind shouldn't be out of the question.
To gain access to funding, it may be necessary to first obtain historical designation through the Dallas County Historical Commission, which is charged with applying for state-approved historical markers and may provide up to 50% of the marker cost through its new Under-Told History Markers program. While the deadline for 2018 has passed, we will look at starting the process for 2019.
Do you have any photos or anecdotal information that could help us in applying for this designation? Write a comment below or send an email here.