City of Dallas Acquires Elmwood Parkway
Elmwood Parkway was planned as a public green space as early as 1924, when Frank G. Jester drew plans for the original Elmwood Addition. That did not become entirely possible until 1945 when unincorporated parts of Oak Cliff, including our neighborhood, were annexed and officially joined the City of Dallas. But title to the greenbelt was not transferred for another two years or "recently" per a 1947 story in The Dallas Morning News, at which point the municipal park board announced that work would soon begin on picnic tables and barbecue pits along both sides of Cedar Creek. According to the same article, "The Elmwood Park along Cedar Creek is the first major recreational ground obtained by the city in Elmwood."
Seven decades later, the Dallas Park & Recreation Department continues to make improvements to the park, with a $2 million extension of the Elmwood Parkway Trail to be funded by 2017 bond revenues.