Mr. Agustín Peralta, owner of 2219 W Illinois Ave, has requested a zoning change for his property from Single Family Residential to Neighborhood Service so that he may lease the home to a business, preferably an attorney’s office.
Elmwood Committee Lands Grant for Dog Park
In the last year, many Elmwood neighbors have expressed an interest in resurrecting the Elmwoof pop-up events that began in 2013 and eventually building a permanent dog park. The location is a triangular island next to Margaret B. Henderson Elementary School at 2100 S. Edgefield Ave. Three years ago, Elmwood Neighborhood Association (ENA) received a $10,000 GrowSouth grant to build that dog park, then dubbed Elmwoof. The project unfortunately stalled when the City of Dallas discovered it does not own the Downtown Elmwood parcel. The grant period ran out before ownership was resolved, and the funds were forfeited.
Recent interest led to a few neighbors stepping up to put Elmwoof back in play. Jeff Pearce agreed to chair the Elmwoof committee and started by hosting monthly popup events. Jorge Esteban joined him and researched the family owning the land for descendants. He not only found the right person, but the family has agreed to deed over the land to the City so ENA can build a dog park. The Elmwoof committee grew to include Ric Hoover and Susan Lee, then began working on a grant application to fund construction. At our last ENA meeting in April, architect and Elmwood neighbor Eric Gonzales joined the team with a vision for all four similarly shaped medians, which have been named the Elmwood Islands.
The team applied for an Old Oak Cliff Conservation League neighborhood grant, and just recently was awarded $5,745, 60% of the cost of basic construction for the fence and gates. Fundraising for the remaining 40% ($3,670) and other amenities will begin shortly and will be the primary ENA focus through October. We plan to break ground in February 2018. Please watch for news on fundraising and sign up for updates at www.elmwoof.org.
You can also expect to hear more soon about Downtown Elmwood. Thanks to the Elmwoof team!
The Old Oak Cliff Conservation League (OOCCL) is a non-profit 501(c)3 that functions as an umbrella organization for 30 neighborhood associations covering nearly 10,000 households within the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, Texas.