newplan w logo.jpg

OUR STORY

Elmwoof began on April 27, 2013 as a monthly pop-up demonstration project by Mark Lea, Kenneth Denson and other members and supporters of the Elmwood Neighborhood Association (ENA) to celebrate GOOD, Inc.’s first-ever NeighborDay. The event and subsequent pop-ups were highly successful, coinciding with a growing citywide awareness of development opportunities for southern Dallas led by Mayor Rawlings’ GrowSouth program. Elmwoof soon received a $10,000 grant from GrowSouth, but a misunderstanding about land ownership resulted in a missed deadline and forfeiture of the funds.

In 2017 – after a conversation with heirs of developer Frank G. Jester and the discovery of 1924 plat documents dedicating several parcels of land, including the site of Elmwoof, as “park” property – ENA has applied for, and won, a match grant in the amount of $5,745 from Old Oak Cliff Conservation League (now Heritage Oak Cliff) or about 60% of the cost of Phase One. ENA is in the process of raising the remaining 40% in order to secure the funds and proceed with the purchase of materials.

PHASE ONE

While the $10,000 Phase One project will continue to be considered a pop-up it will be a massive improvement over what Elmwoof has offered in the past, to include a decomposed granite area plus a permanent-looking modular fence that can be adapted to different shapes and expanded 40’ at a time, as funds allow. Two small gardens will also be included to satisfy our arrangement with the City of Dallas.

A future phase will include permanent structures, irrigation and additional landscaping. Design by Eric Gonzalez.

A future phase will include permanent structures, irrigation and additional landscaping. Design by Eric Gonzalez.